SPRAGUE capacitor for Tektronix 4051.

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 01:42:05 CST 2016

"The mains-side filter caps for switching supplies tend to be large in
capacitance (100-200 and > uF), and typically are not suitable for
replacing the ~ 8-40uF B+ filter caps in vintage tube electronics that have
tube rectifiers."

This is true.

All of the common vacuum diode rectifiers have fairly significant
limitations, for the 1st cap in a cap-input PSU.

Devices like the 5U4 and 5AR4 might tolerate as much as 40-80uF at the
first pole (which is still fairly light), while others such as 5V4 might
only tolerate as little 4uF.

Point of my post - it seems as if the tube audio folks were being blamed
and/or shamed for the cost of high-voltage electrolytics.. and if anything,
they keep both the volume and demand up, and the prices reasonable.