Paper tape carriers and paper tape

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Nov 11 16:03:36 CST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM, jim stephens <jwsmail at jwsss.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/2016 8:53 AM, Al Kossow wrote:
>

>> On 11/11/16 7:42 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>
>> No one is making new 80 column punched card stock either.
>>>>
>>> No stock, or no cards?  I would think that one of the paper
>>> manufacturers would be putting out postcard stock of the right
>>> specifications.
>>>
>> This has been discussed for several years here. No one is making paper
>> stock to IBM card stock specifications.
>>
> A friend I know in St. Louis had them made regularly at an client's
> operation.  The card stock for credit card pull forms is correct. They may
> still have the dies for their machines.  However I don't think the favors
> exist to get more made.
>
> Can check though.   The card stock comes in 12' diameter rolls, so it
> isn't a "pretty please" sort of favor to get the machines set up that
> handle the manufacturing process.  Think rolls of paper the size of
> newsprint, and weighing in at 3000# +
>
> They might also be able to do paper tape, though I'd favor if it is a
> scratch operation doing it from mylar, even though that is hard on punches.
>
> thanks
> Jim
>
> Using a paper folder to convert roll to fanfold has also been discussed.
>>
>> Nothing has resulted from either discussion.

Somewhere I have a photo of the machine that IBM used to make punch cards.
It's in a small museum in Endicott, NY.  It did indeed take a roll of paper
made to IBM specs and produce the flat punch cards many of us know and some
subset of those, love.  It hadn't been run in years when I saw it.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."