Monster 6502

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 09:24:04 CDT 2016

DRam is technically no slower to read than static. It is the house
keeping functions that cost time. Typically the floating nets are
designed to hold data for over 2 milliseconds. At todays higher
speed processors, the refresh time is hardly noticed.
As for the processors of this time, the primary concern was cost.
Not so much silicon size but yield. Bigger ICs had lower yields,
raising cost. Today yields are much better.
Also, in the days of the 6502, complementary CMOS was not only
expensive, it was slow. Making extra logic and gates required more
power as every data inversion required a pull up resistance in single
process designs.
Dwight