Monster 6502

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sun May 29 03:48:42 CDT 2016

<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: Monster 6502
>
> On 2016-May-28, at 6:22 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> >
> > Could someone also clarify what is meant by "gates" in this sense? Are
> > we talking about the gates (G) of a FET, as in Gate, Drain and Source
> > - or are we referring to the composite logic gates (NAND, etc.), built
> > up of multiple bipolar - or MOS - transistors?
>
> Yes, they're talking FET gates, the internal registers would operate under
the
> same basic principle as DRAM does.
>
> Other early microprocs used dynamic registers, I forget which, perhaps
others
> can list them.
>
> Far from the first time a processor had dynamic registers.
> I've been told that the IBM 709 used inductive (rather than capacitive)
storage
> for the main registers.

Many early computers used "Dynamic" store for their registers. Certainly the
Manchester Baby and Mk1 computers used Williams Tubes which need continual
refresh. Not sure about the IBM 701 which used also used Williams Tubes for
Main Store. Many early computers used either Williams Tubes or Delay Line
type store, even for main registers. Pegasus was built like this....

Dave