Need Rec: Book to teach about computers and BASIC at an eight year old level

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Fri May 27 14:42:53 CDT 2016

> And BASIC is great, but as soon as the kid grasps the concepts, move him to
> Perl or Python ASAP. Basic -> Perl is very easy, heck you can even use line
> numbers if you want..

I don't claim to be Larry Wall himself (having had lunch with him a number of
times, he has too many dietary restrictions), but this is news to me. How do
you figure?

% cat > perl.test
print "hello\n";
% perl perl.test
hello
% cat > perl.test
10 print"hello\n";
% perl perl.test
syntax error at perl.test line 1, near "10 print"
Execution of perl.test aborted due to compilation errors.
% cat > perl.test
10: print"hello\n";
% perl perl.test
syntax error at perl.test line 1, near "10:"
Execution of perl.test aborted due to compilation errors.
% perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for aix-thread-multi
[...]

-- Obscenity is the last refuge of a weak mind. -- Bonnie Fortney -------------