Early 360 machines (Was: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu May 26 12:10:36 CDT 2016

On 05/26/2016 06:51 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> Apart from that, it's not credible for another reason.  CDC Cyber
> operating systems always spooled printer output to disk (unlike
> OS/360 which did it in some variants but not others -- notably not
> OS/360 PCP which I used since our 360/44 wasn't big enough to do
> better).  So a call to DMP would run only long enough do perform the
> formatting of whatever memory was being dumped, writing the resulting
> text to the disk file named "OUTPUT" for the invoking process
> ("control point").

It *is* possible for a job to REQUEST access to an online printer under
both SCOPE and KRONOS.  But it requires operator intervention, IIRC.

Deadstart (postmortem) dumps, of course, didn't use any intermediate
programs--they dumped directly to the printer.  IIRC, you could also
dump to tape.

--Chuck