Early 360 machines (Was: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed May 25 21:58:52 CDT 2016

On 05/25/2016 07:22 PM, Paul Berger wrote:

> Speaking of dumps I remember an engineer friend telling me that at
> the university that he went to they had a CDC Cyber system and they
> discovered that you could initiate a dump from any workstation, and
> the system would dump out to the printer and while it was dumping the
> whole system came to a halt.... guess what the students where fond
> of doing......  It would seem to me that something like that should
> have been more restricted.

At least in SCOPE and KRONOS, DMP was the command to dump memory--but if
initiated from a user's control point, it would dump only the user's FL,
not the whole system.  So the story seems to be a bit apocryphal to me.
  Most university systems charged not only by the CPU second, but also
by the number of lines printed and the number of cards punched.

--Chuck