IBM1130 (was RE: Front panel switches - what did they do?)

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Wed May 25 06:06:24 CDT 2016

paths.

> Do you mean the 360/20?  On the topic, were the 20 and 40 the only members
> of System 360 to use TROS?
>
> I remember picking up the programming manual for a Model 20 and realizing
> that I'd essentially have to re-learn programming.  16 bit registers, stripped-
> down instruction set, no I/O channels, "substitute"
> instructions for regular 360 fare.
>
> A really strange thing was that the 1130 came out *after* the 360/20.

I am not sure why IBM produced an in-compatible machine so soon after 360 was announced, but it was sold in a completely different way to a new and emerging market.
It was billed as the cheapest computer IBM had ever offered. The announcement letter here:-

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/1130/1130_initial.html

is dated almost exactly one month before DEC announced the PDP-8 and I am sure targets the same markets DEC did. You just wonder if IBM had spies in DEC, or more likely they both spotted a marketing opportunity. It is also interesting to note a "typical" configuration was priced at almost twice that of the PDP-8.. (assuming Wikipedia is right)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-8

I don't have any links but I know in the UK IBM1130's were used on ships by the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences but I can't find any reference to that on-line. I was told that they had great trouble getting the IBM engineers who worked on it that a suite was not suitable dress for a small research vessel.

Dave
G4UGM

> --Chuck

Dave