Front panel switches - what did they do?

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:32:19 CDT 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Jon Elson wrote:
> The PDP-5 I did a fair bit of work on needed a bootstrap program loaded
> in from switches, it had no internal ROM for that.

How long did it usually take to do it?

> And, whenever a program crashed, it generally wiped the entire contents
> of memory, so the boot had to be reloaded by hand.

Uhh, ouch! That'll learn ya! You'd better be a careful coder, then I
guess. Sheesh.

> So, that was a big advance, a one-button boot.

Man, it seems so elementary now. Everything had to be invented sometime, I
suppose.

> You could use the switches to patch a program you were debugging, look
> at memory locations to examine temporary data values, etc.

It seems like that'd make working with computers a lot more "intentional"
if you know what I mean.

> A few machines had lighted switches.  These would generally be white
> buttons with lamps behind them.

Hmm, so not as cool as 60's and 70's TV and movies seemed to suggest.
Still at least it did happen.  :-)

> The only one I know of that changed color was the power button ("key" in
> IBM-speak) on IBM 360's.

Heh, my grandmother was a Cobol programmer on IBM 360s for Western
National Gas (now Diamond Shamrock). She had mixed feelings about them,
but she said they had a decent development environment vis-a-vis some of
the competition at the time.

> IBM tape drives and disk drives had lighted buttons to show status,
> different color buttons and indicators gave them different colors, but
> they were generally just lit and unlit, but not multi-color.

Hmm, yeah, I seem to remember some similar style lights on old TEAC
reel-to-reel audio gear from that era, too.

> DEC PDP machines generally had a few switches that were multi-position,
> Such as stop/single-step and load address/examine, otherwise they were
> all on-off.

Those multi-position switches are really cool. They remind me more of
avionics style controls (which always seem to be the nicest physical gear
in terms of build quality).

-Swift