AW: AW: When did Memory- and IO Protection Emerge (Esp. in Minis)?

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Fri May 6 08:45:55 CDT 2016

On Thu, 5 May 2016, Gottfried Specht wrote:

> How do I remember this ca. 40 years later?

[snip]

> Well, while servicing these systems they would frequently stop with a
> "Memory Protect Error" (various Operating Systems). Guess what the
> intuitive action was: Replace the "Memory Protect Board" - which n e v e
> r fixed the problem. So digging into the technology it became clear,
> that the Memory Protect Board in these cases had only fulfilled its
> duty: protect the memory below the fence register from some other piece
> of hardware (usually a processor or DMA-board) running havoc in memory.

Essentially the board did what it was supposed to do! That is exactly
what the APM is good for in my Rolm 1602: As these machines where
used in applcations where errors in hardware or software running
havoc would have resulted in really severe problems these where
a good idea  ;-)

   Have a nice weekend,

      Erik.