Titlers, Switchers, Paintboxes, Paint Apps and Old Broadcast Equipment

Dale H. Cook radiotest at juno.com
Tue May 3 13:13:04 CDT 2016

At 01:52 PM 5/3/2016, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

>The early Avid systems just commanded the VTR's over RS-422 to go to time points then punch in, correct? It was non-linear but the video wasn't digitized or stored on disk?

I don't know - the earliest Avid products I worked with were from the late 1980s and early 1990s and used digitized video with the largest hard drive and biggest RAM that I had worked with up to that point. The MCR video playout system that I worked with stored all the short-form video in a bank of SCSI drives, and we ran all of the long-form manually from a bank of U-matic decks or directly from sat - all of the switching done with a Grass Valley switcher run by the Avid. We did all of the long-form preroll with a built-in preroll cueing function in the U-matics, and rolled them by hand, IIRC correctly (that was about 20 years ago).

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html