Rolm Computers: 1602, 1602A, 1602B, 1666, MSExx (was Data General Nova Star Trek)

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Tue May 3 10:41:49 CDT 2016

Hi Bob,

many thanks for your email and for sharing the photos. Obviously
the 1603 has a different processor card set (5604 as can be seen
from your photographs). So this is quite interesting as it shows,
that the chronology was 1602 (9 PCB processor), 1603 (5604, 4 PCB
procrssor), 1602B (5605, 2-PCB sandwich processor).

Yours seems to have TTY in slot 13 and there are 5 IO slots (15-
11) as on the original 1602 (1602B has got more due to the re-
duced number of PCBs in the CPU). The CPI controlling the panel in
your case is at the very end opposite to the power supply and
inbetween you have got two core stacks - in total 32kW I think.
A 1602B can hold 64kW of memory (only accessible via a banking
function proprietary to Rolm, so not usable e.g. for RDOS).

Have you ever powered on your 1666 with the 1648 panel? Although
the 1666 was quite popular in the US I think the non US customers
preferred the MSE14 due to better compatibility with the DG Eclipse
series...

      Very interesting and again many thanks for sharing!

          Erik.