Here's what happens when an 18 year old buys a mainframe...

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue Mar 29 22:01:21 CDT 2016

On 3/29/2016 9:54 PM, Mike Ross wrote:

> Jim you mean the P/390? I have a couple of those yes. First ones were
> Microchannel; later ones were PCI. S/390 CPU & memory on a card; all
> other devices emulated under OS/2 or AIX. Could only run the earlier
> versions of z/OS; they were strictly 31-bit only.
I think that was it.  I heard about it when I worked at Compuware in the
early 90's.  The presentation took me back to those days, not so long
ago, when it was expensive to put TCP/IP on OS/390, so much so that
Compuware developed "HCI", which was a TCP/IP stack for the platform
(not sure if they sold it, bundled it with apps, or it was just Andy
Falvey's pet project.  I remember he borrowed my Comer books so he could
implement TCP/IP...

Jim