PDP-8 panels

William Maddox wmaddox at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 25 03:28:05 CDT 2016

I received one of the new panels from Rob, and it is nearly indistinguishable from the original.  It captures the matte finish of the original exactly.  Fantastic!

>_PDP-8 New Products under consideration _
>
>1. Front panels for any of the other PDP-8 models, Including the
>Straight 8 but excluding PDP-8A.

I'd like to cast a vote for the PDP8/I.   I have a machine with a completely trashed panel, where the clear-coat has become crinkly, cracked, and dark.

I suspect there may be a market for these panels for simulator-backed front panel reproductions.   Oscar Vermuelen's excellent PiDP-8 uses a reduced-size PDP8/I panel, but a full-sized replica would be even nicer.  The PDP8/I has the most beautiful and complete panel of any of the 8s, perhaps of any minicomputer.

--Bill