Options for resurrecting VAX 4000/400 and Vaxstation 3200

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 10 12:32:51 CST 2016

Just powering it on for a few seconds at a time while probing for any really obvious failures would presumably be pretty low risk. Given that the components face to the right though, you might be able to do some probing with just the memory removed?

> FWIW, here's a thermography (hope the link works) of the B-cache section of
> the KA-675 after being powered up for ca. 30 mins:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nsx1dfngp1jfq5/TH710065.BMP?dl=0
>
> Note that the rightmost chip just below the CPU heatsink has a pin that's ca.
> 2 degrees warmer than the others. I don't know if that says anything, but it
> *is* reproducible. Maybe I should start with that one.

Looks like you have access to some enviable stuff, so replacing the chips might not be too bad. I get an occasional error on my 4000-500 at test 14 (also cache related), it doesn't appear to affect operation, but I am worried something is failing that will need replacement.