Options for resurrecting VAX 4000/400 and Vaxstation 3200

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:20:16 CST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Robert Jarratt
<robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I don't have a 3200, nor can I find a manual, but since it looks to be more modern than a 2000, and apparently supports an RD54, then I would have thought the console firmware could format it. On the 2000 TEST 71 will check the disk and tell you what it is, TEST 70 will format it. Perhaps you could try those commands to see if they also work on the 3200.

Should be an M7620 KA650 CPU in a BA23 box with an M7168 / M7169 VCB02
QDSS video subsystem. The storage controller should be an M7555 RQDX3.

Manual available here:
http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/hcps/154aaow1.pdf

If you could swap a Q-Bus PDP-11 CPU and memory in for the KA650 VAX
CPU then you could run XXDP ZRQCH0 diagnostics to format the RD54 on
the RQDX3.