Mystery HP 1000 board

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:42:22 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Jay West <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Marc showed me a machine that was badged "1000F", but had no FP box under it. I of course (incorrectly) told him - it ain't an F unless you go back and get the FP box that goes with. He found that in the rear above the I/O cage, there was a wide (width of the chassis) card cage of about 3 slots, that was apparently for an FP. My reply (wrong) was that it must be a custom job.
>
> Turns out - there was a model of F designated 2111F which has the FP boards inside the main chassis above the I/O cage, and the 2117F which has the boards in a separate box under the cpu. Either I never knew about this 2111F, or my brain blocked it out or forgot it. I'm going with the former ;)

I don't know if the "HP 1000 F-Series Computer Installation and
Service Manual", part number 02111-90002 is available on Bitsavers.
You can find it here:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=2388

Figures 1-2 and 1-3 show the difference between the 2111F and 2117F
and how the two FPP Arithmetic and Control PCAs fit into the top of
the 2111F instead of into a separate box below the 2117F.