Informer 213 terminal - 3274 / 3178 compatible ?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:17:03 CDT 2016

> On 11/06/2016 18:17, Mattis Lind wrote:
>
>> I just dig out this little thing form my father stash of various stuff.
>>
>> When bringing up the setup screen it does not look like the one in the
>>
> > manual.
>
> I love the way they felt they had to explain the keyboard at such length.
> And explain that the unmarked key is the space bar - I remember when I was
> about 6 or 7, having to ask my dad how to get a space on his office
> typewriter.
>
> I was also amused to see they have a section on connecting it to the UK's
> BT lines (in the days when things needed BT Approval) so it's obviously
> intended for UK use, yet it's pictured with an American power lead.

Unfortunately for me my unit does not seem to be the same as the one in the
manual. The section on connecting to BT lines is probably still valid since
it does have a Rockwell modem board in it.

I did find an old Computerworld ad from 1989 which matched. Informer 213 -
emulating a 3274 control unit with an attached 3178 mod 2 terminal. Someone
with IBM knowledge might share what that means and how the terminal can be
used.

Anyway. I put together a webpage on the thing:
http://www.datormuseum.se/peripherals/terminals/informer-213

/Mattis