thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep ?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jun 10 10:50:30 CDT 2016

[720K]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Liam Proven wrote:
> By the time I started work and so started using PCs, DOS 3.3 was
> current and PS/2s were proliferating.
> I apologise for my ignorance.

What's to apologize for?
Missing out on the short-lived reign of 720K was not hard to do.
To me, being in college was a lot like being on holiday.  My generation
was part of the transition from "wine, women, and song" over to "drugs,
sex, and rock&roll".  We knew that personal computers would be coming
soon, but they weren't yet available.  We had boxes of cards, and
occasional tapes, instead of floppy disks.

The remark about missing it if on holiday is a "humorous" idiom.
The time of the 720K 3.5" was short enough in IBM, that you could almost
have missed it if you slept late that day :-)

I was involved in disk format conversion, so I was one of the few people
to whom it was important.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com