thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep ?

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:22:42 CDT 2016

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> As it happens, this is nearly exactly what I have: EISA (with an AWE32
> ISA sound card) with a VLB video card.

Ahh, the AWE32. I had one of those, too. They came with some funny tools.
I remember "Dr Sabatsio" cracked me up.

> The CPU is an Am5x86 133MHz, which AMD advertised as comparable to the
> 75MHz Pentium. This is fairly accurate for integer games

I forgot about that proc. Nice. That sounds like a very snappy 486 with
some nice expansion cards.

> On the other hand, this machine runs a lot of finicky older games that
> don't like my PCI P75 (Bio Menace, I'm looking at yoooooooouuuu).

Interesting. I haven't run into that problem yet. However, I do play old
games, so we'll see. I don't have any 486's at the moment. The slowest x86
box I still have is a P233 HP Sojourn laptop.

-Swift