thinking of the "ultimate" retro x86 PCs - what bits to seek/keep ?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:02:51 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's what I'm currently looking at (all 486's, but I'd consider 386s and
> original Pentiums, too):
>
> * Compaq Prolinea systems
> * Canon ObjectStation
> * NEC Powermate
> * HP Vectra
> * IBM Aptiva or PS/1
>
> Not considering:
>
> * Beige Packard Bell with Microsoft Sound System and a 1M graphics card.
> :-)

Dell made a mean 486 PC

I have been very happy with my Dell 486 66 Win 3.11 system.  I put in an
ethernet card, nice VGA and sound cards, joystick card, dual hard drives, 5
1/4" and 3.5" disks.  No CD.  Back then Win 3.11 was pretty versatile and I
dare say a better OPsystem than its early 90's UNIX contemporaries
(*ducks*)!  Note I am saying Windows for Workgroups v 3.11 not 3.1.

I was using it today to serve as a terminal with my VAX 4000 (win terminal)
while browsing the LoneStar.org gopher system using Netscape 2.0

The only thing I need is  nicer VGA display, the DELL display I have is not
as nice as the card driving it.