Nova 3 front panel

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Fri Jul 22 12:39:56 CDT 2016

From: jim stephens: Friday, July 22, 2016 12:46 AM
> On 7/22/2016 12:25 AM, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
>> I mentioned http://www.foxdata.com/blog/tag/nova-312/ to you earlier,
>> which suggested the 28V bulbs.  I also found
>> http://www.chookfest.net/nova3/ledmod.html
>> which makes it clear that the voltage is likely a fair bit over 12V.
>
> Thanks for the tips.  I see that the foxdata site lamps don't appear
> quite as bright as the chookfest ones, which is interesting.  I'm
> thinking now if I do anything it will be the LED route, so will evaluate
> that, as I agree opening the thing back up will suck.

Those chookfest bulbs are doing just what I'd expect from 12V bulbs
in a 28V circuit -- way too bright, and then a drastically shortened
lifespan.  (The right bulb can last for years; the wrong one for
minutes.)

I'm not a big fan of the surgery involved in LED conversion, though
I understand why folks do it.  Particularly if they, like Emil, have used
the wrong bulbs and found themselves replacing them all the time.

Somewhere, I have Oshino's write-up about bulb rated voltage and
bulb operating voltage, but I do remember the lifespan varies as
some power of the ratio, and it makes a huge difference.  (There
are also formulae for derating brightness, etc.)

    Vince