DEC H-500 Computer Lab pins and docs (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Tue Jul 19 11:43:57 CDT 2016

From: Karl-Wilhelm Wacker: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:25 AM
> Does anyone have one of the patch cables, and can they measure the diameter of
> the pin and it's length?
>
> Also, is it a straight pin or like a bannana jack with springy sides?

It is a smooth-walled brass taper pin with a crimp connector for the
wire.  There's a photo at
http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/computerlab/computerlab.php
you can click on for a (slightly) better view.

The diameter is similar to the pins that go in the old connectors that
DEC used for current loop connectors.  Wider at the wire end, though,
to provide the wedging action.

The central feature, which is seldom seen anymore, is the taper that
allows the pin to smoothly insert, yet firmly wedge in there when
inserted.  That makes it more suitable, in my opinion, as it's really
hard to screw anything up (other than having it still a little loose
because you didn't insert it firmly).

I can attempt to measure one up.

    Vince