Flex Disc options for the HP 9825

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:54:21 CDT 2016

On 2016-07-19 2:06 AM, tony duell wrote:

>> Probably a question for Tony's encyclopedic knowledge. I just
>> scored two HP 9825, one a later "T" option and one "B" version
>> with all the fixings (i.e ROM packs). They both seem to work
>> save the usual tape drive which I have not gotten to yet. Both
>> have the flexible disc ROM. What kind of discs can I hook up?
> Which flexible disk ROM? There are 2. The older one, AFAIK
> supports the HP9885 8" drive which has a 16 bit parallel interface
> and needs the right version of the 98032 to hook it up. The later
> disk ROM supports the HP9895 on HPIB.
The only difference between the different versions of 98032A is the
cable and some jumpers inside but it appears to all be documented so
even if you don't have the option 085 98032A, the 50 pin D shell
connector used on the 9885 is pretty common.

> The older ROM needs a disk with various programs on it to
> work, it is essentially just a bootstrap. Have any such disks
> survived?
There is an image of one on the hpmuseum.net site.

> -tony
Paul.