VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Sun Jul 17 10:06:38 CDT 2016

> On Jul 17, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 16, 2016, at 6:56 PM, Antonio Carlini <a.carlini at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> The specs were (and are) freely available. (I'm not 100% sure that they were free-as-in-beer back then, but they are now).
>
> I assume you had to pay for the cost of printing.  They could be freely reproduced, though, it says so explicitly.
>
>> There was at least one implementation for Linux and (I think ...) another for Solaris. cisco also supported DECnet in some of
>> their switches.
>
> Yes, and for that matter, there was a commercial non-DEC DECnet, by Stuart Wecker I think -- he was involved with DDCMP way back when.

	That was Technology Concepts Inc, Sudbury MA. Sometime around 1984 I almost left
	DEC to join TCI but then had a change of heart. Sun’s DECnet implementation was
	either done by TCI or based on their code.

>> (I'm assuming that Phase II existed at some point before Phase III, which definitely did exist. I also
>> assume that Phase I only acquired that designation once Phase II appeared!)
>
> I suppose so.  Rumor had it that Phase I only existed on RSX, but it appears that there was a PDP-8 implementation as well.  Phase II was implemented on lots of DEC systems, from TOPS-10 to RT-11 to RSTS/E.  My initial involvement with DECnet was as the DECnet/E kernel guy, upgrading DECnet/E from Phase II to Phase III.

	I worked at a customer site in Sweden which consisted of a pair of 11/40’s running
	RSX-11D and DECnet Phase I. I’m pretty sure that Phase I only ran on 11D in the RSX
	family.

	    John.