TI Silent 700 print mechanism mechanical issues, and Model 763/765 bubble memory notes

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 22:01:21 CDT 2016

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:
> I've restored a couple Silent 700 and found that the grease in the head lift solenoid had become very sticky (ie, no longer grease) and after completely cleaning and applying new (white lithium grease) the solenoid works much better.  I also had one of the knobs you mention split but was able to repair with super glue.

Thanks for the info. Now that I have a better understanding of what's
wrong with it, maybe I've got a decent chance of fixing it.

> Love these Silent 700s, so keep 'em running!

I'm keeping my out for more of them.  :-)

My main interest in this one was as a representative use of TI bubble
memory devices. I don't think TI was terribly successful at getting
bubble memory design wins; the only non-TI product I've heard of that
used TI bubble memory was a Multibus board, and I've never actually
seen it.  Intel seemed to get a lot more design wins, though they
didn't get into the market until just before TI decided to call it
quits.