Second release of the HP 3000 Series III simulator

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Fri Jul 8 23:40:14 CDT 2016

On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 8:57, SPC wrote:

> So I assume that we can make operative programs *only* with the COBOL
> 74 compiler, Isn't so ?

The software kit contains two COBOL compilers:

 - a COBOL '68 compiler invoked with the :COBOL command

 - a COBOL '74 compiler invoked with the :COBOLII command.

The second compiler has an alternate mode, invoked with the :COBOLIIX
command, where it operates as a COBOL '85 compiler.  This second compiler,
in either '74 or '85 mode, generates programs that use the HP 32234A COBOL
II firmware instructions.  These instructions are not yet implemented in
the simulator.

Programs generated with the COBOL '68 compiler will run on the simulator.

As Keven mentioned, the kit also comes with BASIC, FORTRAN '66, Pascal,
RPG, and SPL compilers.  Programs generated with these compilers will run
on the simulator too.

                                      -- Dave