Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:17:58 CST 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 12:39 PM

> As others have mentioned, the best approach is to keep systems that
> support what you need "just in case".  In my case, some of the hardware
> is of my own design and construction--and employs the ISA interface.
>
> Sure, it's possible to redesign the hardware and write some new drivers,
> but for the frequency of use, it's just not worth it.  So I keep at
> least one operating 8088, 80286, 80386, 80486, P1, P2 and P3 system around.
>
> On many of my systems, DOS 7.x (Win98SE real-mode command prompt) is
> also useful.  Real MS-DOS also for the non-Win 9x capable systems.
>
> It's not a big thing--just pull an appropriate machine out of the stack,
> hook it up and you're off and running.
>
> But VB is very useful in lots of cases.
>
> In other words, I don't think there's a "one size fits all" solution.
>
> --Chuck

Agreed.

FWIW, I recycled a lot of PC stuff after my VCF ban but I do still have about 50 or so system boxes (mostly IBM) awaiting their turn; probably a third or so are directly W98SE compatible and some even still have W98SE CoAs on the side.

Of course shipping (from Toronto) would not be cheap, although if Jerome wants one I could probably deliver it since he's also in Toronto ;-).

It's fairly low on my priority list though, so it might be a while before I look through the piles; if/when I do I'll start with the P4s and leave the older ones till last, JIC.