Fwd: Re: Kaypro Motherboard Add-On Question

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Thu Jan 21 20:05:20 CST 2016

Hmm, no one able to help?

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Kaypro Motherboard Add-On Question
Date: 	Fri, 8 Jan 2016 22:25:39 -0600
From: 	Jim Brain <brain at jbrain.com>
To: 	General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>

On 12/12/2015 10:52 AM, Glen Slick wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Jim Brain <brain at jbrain.com> wrote:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-KAYPRO-4-COMPUTER-MOTHERBOARD-/331730690952?
>>
>> The non soldermask boad on top of the main unit intrigues me.  Does anyone
>> know what it is?
>>
>> Jim
> The board says Centram Systems, Inc, Camp Hill, Pa.
>
> There is a marketing blurb in the August 15, 1983 issue of
> Computerworld. Don't know if it is for that exact board.
>
> Long ugly link:
> https://books.google.com/books?id=soGti0kvtgwC&pg=RA1-PA71&lpg=RA1-PA71&dq=centram-systems+inc+kaypro&source=bl&ots=6Vnr0qZn3W&sig=otazIdpkt4Y5Oyrp9jjKKrv_dq4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHtaP34tbJAhUL9mMKHWnaDYQQ6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=centram-systems%20inc%20kaypro
Sorry for the delayed update, but after a few relistings, I was able to
secure the PCB for a reasonable price.

It is indeed the board listed on the link, and here is another link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=7xNVAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA267&lpg=PA267&dq=the+web+nt+centram+systems+inc+kaypro&source=bl&ots=xy6yxBjbgc&sig=ByqG8cnOV0sZbxZDf3rKwxA30rg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirpYH76pvKAhWDNiYKHeDfA2oQ6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=the%20web%20nt%20centram%20systems%20inc%20kaypro&f=false

The product is called "KayNet", a baseband twisted pair CSMA/CD local
network operating at 125kbps.  It uses a network called Web, designed by
Centram Systems, Inc. of Camp Hill, PA.  The network software , OPSnet,
was written by Aquinas, INc., and is compatible with CP/M 2.2

I secured the board, but it needs to be reverse engineered and I lack
the time at present.  Anyone want to take on the effort?

I also need to track down OPSnet OS, and I think there is a bit more to
this board (the documentation I found mentions a switch and an RJ-11
connector.  I see what looks like the LED wires on the PCB, and there
are 3 more pins on the PCB that could be the RJ11 pins. There is a wire
that is soldered to U65:pin4 on the motherboard, which I assume is the
switch but maybe hooked to this gate as a way to make the switch a
softswitch.

Here is some documentation:

https://archive.org/stream/bitsavers_kayproKayn_4822341/Kaynet_Users_Guide_1983_djvu.txt

Here is the KayNET documentation:

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_kayproKayn_4822341
http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/kaypro/hardware/kaypro%20kaynet%20users%20guide.pdf
(Thanks Jason Scott!)

Anyone interested in bringing this network back to life?  I am happy to
design and manufacture replacement PCBs at cost for this...

More on KayNET:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ui8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=kaynet+kaypro&source=bl&ots=0BU3jTdrH3&sig=LsCiZJVRumQ7QgRa1-QpuzpefQ8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOjZLr75vKAhXL8CYKHVxUAdwQ6AEIKjAC#v=onepage&q=kaynet%20kaypro&f=false
http://gopherproxy.meulie.net/gopher.floodgap.com/0/archive/walnut-creek-cd-simtel/KAYPRO/KPRO-LAN.INF

This looks very interesting, but I think I need help to move forward.

Jim

--
Jim Brain
brain at jbrain.com