s100

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Jan 8 12:33:25 CST 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-Jan-07, at 11:13 AM, nierveze wrote:
> > first am 1 on the correct channel??
> > I have several S100 boards , found 25 years ago,
>
> > I wonder how it is possible to address more than 64K (rams+eprom)with a
> Z80 .
>
> S100 memory boards often incorporated a bank-switching scheme to allow for
> multiple 64K banks in the system.
> The convention was a dedicated I/O port number (0x40?) to which one writes
> a bit pattern to select the desired bank.
> Such memory boards have configuration switches to set their bank ID/number.
> For a system to use this scheme, all the memory boards in the system are
> to be listening on that same port, waiting to recognise their ID.
>
> I designed and built such a board way, way back when I was an
undergraduate.  (The fact that it was for an S-100 system is sufficient
suggestion of just how long ago....)  Someone was doing medical image
processing, IIRC.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."