HP 16700A/16702A logic analyzer help request - /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file wanted

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:48:31 CST 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You must not be aware of the "introScreen" lmcrypt hack. You can
>> regenerate a license.dat file with correct passwords for all of the
>> tool sets available on the software installation CD.
>
> You're right. I'm not aware of that hack. Sounds useful! I must not be
> coming up with the right search keywords.

Take a look at this file on the install CD, which contains the lines below:
LA_CDROM/catalog/HP1660X-70XA/pfiles/postinstall

#
# Convert licensing files to new format
#
/usr/sprockets/os/sbin/convertLicensing

#
# Now, delete the file so we don't leave evidence of what we did. :)
#
rm -f /usr/sprockets/os/sbin/convertLicensing

Then follow that to this file on the install CD, which you have to
gzip -d to view and you can see how it generates the license file:
LA_CDROM/HP1660X-70XA/HP1660X-70XA/usr/sprockets/os/sbin/convertLicensing

This is a case of security through obscurity. The file
/usr/sprockets/flexlm/introScreen that is part of the standard
software installation is a FlexLM lmcrypt binary that has simply been
renamed as a weak attempt to hide it.

If you execute this command on the 16700:
$LMCRYPT -maxlen -1 -verfmt 6 $LICENSE_FILE
where:
$LMCRYPT = /usr/sprockets/flexlm/introScreen
$LICENSE_FILE = /hplogic/licensing/license.dat

It will regenerate the license.dat file with updated passwords. If
there are any expiration dates in the license file change the date
field to permanent before regenerating the file. Also first make sure
the HOSTID fields on each feature lines match the system, or just set
them to HOSTID=ANY.

Someone else more clever than me figured this out.