VMS 5.5 and multinet 4.1 SMTP Question

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Feb 23 07:15:51 CST 2016

> Thanks for your reply.  My error I meant send email to
> system at microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net

Multinet is an excellent TCP/IP stack but the SMTP server included with it
is a bit limited and V4.1 is old.  If you allow it to accept SMTP mail directly
from the internet, it may be difficult or impossible to secure it against
exploitation as a spam relay which would cause lots of problems for others
as well as yourself.

Having said that, it should be possible to feed mail to it from a more capable
internet facing SMTP mail server or set it up to send/receive SMTP mail on your
internal network only.

To do this, you don't need the DECnet to SMTP mail gateway you mentioned.  If
this was configured on your machine, it may have been used to allow the machine
running Multinet SMTP to accept mail from the internet and pass it on to other
DECnet connected machines which did not run SMTP.

I don't know what MULTINET:MR_CONFIGURE.COM is but "MR" suggests it might be
something to do with ALL-IN-1 mail rather than VMS MAIL.  If you want to run
ALL-IN-1 mail, this is very different to using VMS MAIL.

Everything you need to route SMTP mail to/from VMS MAIL on your machine should
be provided by:

$ MULTINET CONFIGURE /MAIL

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.