Looking for a small fast VAX development machine

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Feb 21 22:51:52 CST 2016

On 02/21/2016 07:21 PM, Jay West wrote:
> I do have a Microvax 3100-40. I remember that I powered it
> up once when I got it, and it's been sitting on a shelf
> ever since (probably 10 years). I'm not familiar with
> those type of machines, is that fast enough to play around
> with? J
Well, VAXes are fairly slow compared to a recent x86
machine.  My MicroVAX-II is about 1000 times slower than my
desktop machine.  I migrated a few programs from the VAX to
my desktop Linux machine, so I have some rough comparisons.
But, your 3100 might be slower than a 100 MHz Pentium
Classic, just to give you a range.

You would not want to go web browsing on a MicroVAX, even
though the 3100 is quite a bit faster than my MicroVAX-II.
Moving files around on the net, email and such things might
not be so obviously slow.  I wouldn't want to do any real
computing on and VAX system, I'm just spoiled by what a
typical machine can do now.

Jon