VAX 11/730 quickie

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 04:57:52 CST 2016

Well I haven't figured out exactly what the problem was but I'm
embarrassed to report it was indeed serial comms finger trouble. I
could have sworn that VT220 was fine and the cable wired correctly...
but to cover all bases I tried it with a USB serial port on the Mac
that sits in the lab.

It worked.

First time.

CONV011

Bugger me.

http://www.corestore.org/730cons.png

OK next is console tape... I have around 100 TU58 tapes. On close
examination the collection contained ONE console tape... for an 11/750
of course! So I'll be reaching for an emulator. Looking back at a long
thread on vintage-computers last year it appears that tu58em had
timing issues and was unusable on 11/730 but is now patched and
working correctly... watch this space!

Thanks for all the pointers.

Mike

--

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.