VAXen and minimal memory (was Re: The PDP11/04 has landed..)

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:39:55 CST 2016

> Indeed.  RSTS/E did better, with less hardware -- 64 users on an 11/70 was no problem, and earlier on you could run 16 users on an 11/20 (though not all that comfortably).

It all depends on what the users are doing, of course. When I went to
school back in the late 1980s, the main computer was (for a while) a
VAX-11/780. Things started to get dodgy with 30 engineering students
online compiling and running crap code, and almost useless when 35
were on.

There was also an ancient PDP-11/70 that ran some variant of Unix, and
that general became useless after about 10 students were online.

--
Will