The PDP11/04 has landed..

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:22:51 CST 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 7:55 AM, tony duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I don't know if
>> you could use the 256K boards (populated with 4116s) in the 11/730 due
>
> I am pretty sure (havng read and re-read the printset, I am restroring
> an 11/730 at the moment) that you can't use 256K boards in that machine.
> The memory address decoder (which IIRC is on the MCT board, part of
> the CPU) assumes 1M boards.

I don't find that surprising.  At the time they were designing the
KA730, 1M boards were obviously available (or imminently available)
and with 5 memory slots vs 8 in the KA750, I'm sure they never
expected anyone to want to use up a slot with a tiny board, so why
support them.

As part of this thread, I was digging around for context and ran
across ads in ComputerWorld and such as archived on Google Books.  The
ads indicate a reseller price of $4,000 for one MS750CA (1MB board) in
1984.  By the time I was buying them (for work) around 1989 I think,
ISTR prices around $400-$600

> Anyway, as you say, you would not want that little memory.

No good reason to.

-ethan