Mystery system

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Feb 4 20:56:01 CST 2016

On 02/04/2016 07:48 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:

>    I'm trying to identify a system which appeared in "The
> Killer Elite" (1975), with a room full of tape drives and
> a couple of terminals:
>
> http://q7.neurotica.com/killer-1.png
> http://q7.neurotica.com/killer-2.png
> http://q7.neurotica.com/killer-6.png
> http://q7.neurotica.com/killer-9.png
>
>    The drives appear to be IBM 3420s, but with an
> additional box on top, labeled "SMS".  The system itself
> doesn't appear in any of the shots. Some sort of IBM 370,
> perhaps?

I'm thinking they might be 2420's.  They have a "9" label on
the head cover.  This is to distinguish 9-track from 7-track
drives, I don't think they put those labels on 3420 drives.

The drive addresses are 5xx, meaning they are attached to
channel 5 on the CPU.  That is not impossible on a 360, but
few 360's could handle that many channels.  The cluster of
3270's also suggests a 370 system, although they certainly
could be used on 360's.

The SMS boxes displayed the volume label of the tape to
mount. Mounting the wrong tape was a BIG problem in large
systems, so a number of vendors came up with these sorts of
schemes to try to reduce those errors.

Jon