AIX for IBM system 370

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Mon Feb 1 22:15:00 CST 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, devin davison wrote:

> What machine would you recommend for the Linux route. The idea being to run
> the oldest machine possible.
>
> I was looking at AIX because it ran on one of the oldest ibm machines i
> could find.

Way back, circa 1980, Unix V6 was ported to the 370, a bit later Amdahl
marketed UTS, and a bit more later IBM marketed IX/370.  All of this was
prior to 1986 I think.  As far as I know, all of them ran under the VM
hypervisor way back when Linus Torvald was still wearing diapers and
decades before some linux weenie thought he invented the vm hypervisor.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
   Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our