Base 64 posts to the list

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Dec 2 09:27:13 CST 2016

> Lately, some list posts have begun appearing in Base 64 format. I read
> the list in daily digest mode, and these posts are not converted to
> anything sensible, all I get is a long string of hex codes. This is
> slightly frustrating, since I have to look up the post in the list
> archive if I want to read it, and then it may turn out to be something
> that doesn't interest me at the moment. Is there a way of dealing with
> this, apart from humbly requesting posters to not post in Base 64?

I occasionally get Base 64 format postings from certain Yahoo mailing lists
but I cannot recall ever seeing any from cctech/cctalk.  I would definately
notice because I generally read them using a mail client which knows nothing
of Base 64.

However, I receive my cctech/cctalk emails individually, not in daily digest
mode so maybe that makes a difference.

I suppose it is possible that my MTA is silently converting Base 64 messages
that it decides don't need Base 64 encoding into plain text.  Maybe I should
look into that.

It is strange that the messages appear properly decoded in the mailing list
archive but not in the daily digest.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.