Microvax II hardware not recognized

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Aug 18 20:55:56 CDT 2016

On 08/17/2016 10:37 PM, Douglas Taylor wrote:
> I've brought up a MicroVax II and installed VMS 5.5-2 on a
> SCSI2SD disk and it is fun to work with.  (I also
> installed openvms 7.2 without much drama)
>
> The problem I am having is that is has a TK50 tape drive
> and controller, but it never has shown up in the device
> list.  I even swapped in a different controller.
>
> The DHV11 did show up initially but has now disappeared
> from the device list.  Did I do this by removing boards
> and putting them back in?
>
> A RQDX2 board was put back in at a secondary CSR address
> and that shows up (it is connected to an RX50 which shows
> up in the device list).
>
> Does Autogen recognize new hardware?

Yes, definitely.  Some older devices have switches (or even
soldered jumpers) to set the CSR address.  If some of these
are wrong, it could mess up the automatic address assignment
of later MSCP hardware.

Another possibility is dirty backplane/board contracts.
Also, some LSI-11/uVAX hardware may be in the age where they
are dying.  Many later devices will not show up on the bus
if their internal microcontroller fails.
If the peripherals have socketed chips, you might try
reseating those chips.

Jon