Imaging and Emulating Rainbow

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 14 05:55:27 CDT 2016

I have a Rainbow 100+ with a working hard disk. I want to image the disk
before it fails and then emulate the Rainbow. The disk is an RD51 and
appears to have 4 partitions on it.

For imaging my first thought is to put the disk into a MicroVAX II, net boot
the MicroVAX into VMS and do a BACKUP/PHYSICAL, copying the image to a SIMH
tap file.  There shouldn't be any issues with this I assume?

Second, I would like to find an emulator for the Rainbow. I did a quick
search of the web and it seems like MESS/MAME may be the only option. I have
never used MESS/MAME, has anyone ever emulated the Rainbow successfully with
this software?

Regards

Rob