VAX file format conversion

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 20:56:35 CDT 2016

On 8/11/2016 4:47 PM, Ian S. King wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM, emanuel stiebler <emu at e-bbes.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-08-11 14:08, Douglas Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> I have a MicroVax 4000 that I am trying to update the license PAKs on,
>>> the last time I had valid PAKs on this machine was in 2002 (Hobbyist
>>> Licenses).
>>>
>>> I registered and have received the new Hobbyist License PAKs.
>>>
>>> I connected a laptop and transferred the text file using C-Kermit on the
>>> VAX and hyperterminal on the laptop.
>>>
>>> When I go to execute the file, I get an error:
>>>
>>> $@hobbyist-use-only-va.txt
>>>
>>> %RMS-W-RTB 512 bye record to large for user buffer
>>>
>>> It appears that when the file was transferred it showed up on the vax
>>> with fixed length records of 512 bytes, not variable length.
>>>
>>> Can I convert the file on the VAX?
>>>
>>> Is there a setting for C-Kermit that I need to change?
>>>
>>> Is Hyperterminal screwing things up?
>>>
>> I usually just send it a textfile, so open the editor, put it in input
>> mode, download the file, save it. Don't forget, to make a dealy after every
>> <CR> ...
>>

> I've always just set the terminal emulator to a slow per-character rate and
> pushed it into the console.  As long as VMS can process each line before
> the next one starts, you should be golden.  -- Ian

Ian ;

I set the baud rate for 300, it was torture, but it worked. However, on
the vax I had to make sure the terminal width was set to 132.

The license file ran past 80 characters occasionally and screwed things
up, because the Vax would 'wrap' those lines.

The next hurdle is to get the networking functioning again.  Are there
any tricks I should know about concerning the AUI to 10BaseT adapters?

It has been about a dozen years since I last did this and at that time
it was working.

Doug