Honeywell 440

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Mon Aug 8 17:02:38 CDT 2016

the  fact it is rebranded suggests  an older product   indeed....  with a
new name tag

so who owns this  thing  now!???

Ed#

In a message dated 8/8/2016 2:50:47 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
billdegnan at gmail.com writes:

On Mon,  Aug 8, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

>  According to the Computers and Automation census, the first delivery of
the
> 440 T/S was Jul, 69. After the sale, it shows up in the census  under
> Honeywell
> as the G440 T/S. It's a pretty rare machine.  It dissappears in Mar '72
> with no
> known  installations.

I did check the KeyData Computer  Characteristics Review of 1969, but I did
not see it there.  I have  Vol 9 #2, not sure when exactly in 1969 or
thereabouts it was actually  written or published.

I just now checked the Auerbach Computer  Characteristics Digest of 4/1969
and I *did* find the GE 440 CPU  there.  $7,000 monthly rental, purchase
price of $311,000

In  the same digest, the Honeywell model 440 is part of the H-400 system.
It's  an expensive I/O thing not a CPU.  At the time the Honeywell 440  was
their name for their  "Optical Scanning Unit and Control" with the  note:
Not available for new orders.  $2530/mo and $121,440 to  buy.

So, to find a Honeywell 440 nameplate prob means it was for  something
produced after 1969, at least according to my  sources.

Bill