RX02 Debugging

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 01:00:10 CDT 2016

yea  these are nasty  sounding  drives  when they  load!  ---Ed#

Re: You'll hear a serious "clunk" when they load.

In a message dated 8/2/2016 10:49:06 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
lbickley at bickleywest.com writes:

On Tue,  02 Aug 2016 21:43:03 -0700
Kirk Davis <kirkbdavis at me.com>  wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I’m in Sunnyvale, CA.
>
> I actually got the rx02 from another hobbyist that
> used it  with the 44 in 2008 so I suspect it is configured correctly.
> The other  drive doesn’t have a belt so I’m unable to test with it.
> I’ve verified  the cable direction. It’s a sweet 44 - super clean,
> runs great and is  like a tank.
>
> One of the problems is I don’t know normal  behavior of the drive. The
> motor is aways spinning for unit 0. When I  try booting I don’t hear
> the heads load or seek. I’m new to the 44  monitor commands & boot
> process etc so I’m learning as I  go.

The motors always spin. The heads should engage whenever  selected.
You;ll hear a serious "clunk" when they load.

If you're  coming to the VCF this coming weekend, Bob Rosenblum and I
will have a  running RX02 attached to a PDP-8/M. You can hear all of
it's "sounds"  there. You'll also be able to play "Spacewar!" with our
VC8/E and XY  monitor, etc.

BTW: Make sure you have the correct switch settings on  the RX02
mainboard for your PDP-11...

> I’m also making one of  these to help isolate if it’s a
> drive/cable/controller  problem:
>
>  http://www.torok.info/computing/pdp11/rx02/index.htm

That looks like a  cool project. Would like to see it when you've got  it
running!!!

Lyle

--
73      AF6WS
Bickley  Consulting West Inc.

"Black holes are where  God is dividing by zero"