HP 2100A Restoration

Hayden Kroepfl perlpowers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:09:51 CDT 2016

Alright, thanks for all the helpful tips and information.

I guess what I'll do when disassembling it is note down every electrolytic,
and probably just throw them all into a Digikey order that I'm working on
for other repairs.

Probably will give reforming a try if it seems practical, but I assume on
the power supply that's going to mean desoldering one leg on each cap. At
that point it's probably better to just replace the cap. My only worry
would be obsolete/oddball cap values that I'd have to inspect the circuit
to see what replacement I can use, eg. 290uF and 250uF caps.

On another note, has anyone ever tried making their own I/O boards for any
of the 2100 series computers? The closest I found was
http://newton.freehostia.com/hp/ where he makes a paper tape emulator and
disk interface. However both of those are designed to connect to an
existing I/O board like the "microcircuit interface". I haven't seen
anything yet on how to interface to the I/O bus, but then again there are
thousands of pages of manuals still to browse through.