Is MS-DOS, PC DOS and DR-DOS vintage enough to count?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Aug 2 09:06:59 CDT 2016

    > From: Chuck Guzis

    > I routinely use Win98SE for my DOS tasks--it boots into DOS quite
    > nicely if you edit the MSDOS.SYS file to say BootGUI=0.

That's considerably more elegant than the way I use, to get my 98SE boxes to
boot into DOS to start with (which I prefer, in case I want to do anything
that requires Windows not to be running, e.g. disk repairs); I just re-named
'WIN.COM' to 'LOSE.COM'. So I get an error message grumbling that it can't
find WIN.COM, and then it falls into DOS.

Of course, my way, I do get the ineffable pleasure of saying "LOSE" to start
Windows, every time I boot the machines. Never gets old.

	Noel