Bill Gates: Windows 95 Was 'A High Point'

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 21:28:16 CDT 2016

NT 4.0 was ok, but for me Windows 2000 was the coolest thing ever since I
could  have stability AND play games on it. Playing with the W2K betas was
fun, never got excited about a MS OS since then.

Speaking of games Windows 95 was a huge shift in the world because while I
got used to apps on Windows 3.11 (WFW) I still had to shut down to DOS to
play games. Win 95 integrated gaming video and sound along with joystick
configuration and soon every game would need it to run (one OS for
everything). There was also a huge explosion of apps for Win95 compared to
what was around for Win3.x. I think around that time computers finally
became common in every household so MS benefited from a huge increase in
retail and OEM sales.

I do recall the hype of Win 95 as I purchased the 95 upgrade soon after it
was out, and a girl I worked with got me a Win 95 mug around release day.