"non-polar" capacitor?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:03:29 CDT 2016

It's pretty simple, really.

Non-polar caps are used in locations where they must pass AC. Film caps (of
various constructions) are practical until the values exceed a few uF. Once
you need more than a few uF of non-polar capacitance, it's time to look at
NP electrolytics, as they are the cheapest route to a large-ish value
without the polarity issue.

Film caps (in the 63-350V range) are available in values as large as 10uF,
22uF, 47,uF and even 100uF - or more. But those are usually high-priced
specialty audio parts, for things like speaker crossovers and output
coupling caps in some audio preamp circuits.

A non-polar electrolytic is nothing more than a pair of normal (polar)
electrolytics, with the negative (-) leads tied together. There is no
difference between a (nominal) 10uF non-polar and a pair of 22uF polars
tied neg to neg.

Pos to pos works just as well, but it's just not the standard for a very
good reason.. think about how a standard electrolytic cap case is built &
sealed..