Vaisala SPT11A reader (was Data General Nova Star Trek)

Erik Baigar erik at baigar.de
Tue Apr 26 04:32:47 CDT 2016

Dear Paul,

thanks for your email - I acquired the reader several years ago and
did quite a lot of experiments to figure out how to use it with the
original firmware SPTS11, 2.02, 5289 but I never got an answer from
the reader. So the project of Jim to read in the DG tapes was the
reason I needed to address this issue. For your (and the communities)
convenience I placed the original firmware (27C256 type EPROM)...

    http://www.baigar.de/electronics/PTR-SPTS11-2.02-5289.bin

...and my new one (also 27C256)...

    http://www.baigar.de/electronics/PTR-SPTS11-EB1.01.hex

...onto my server. My new firmware just sends out the data read via
the serial port at 9600, 8N1. A welcome messages tests the serial
communication on starting and during this time the red LED is on.
On getting ready the green LED takes over and the yellow one shows
the state of the sprocket input: For each byte read this LED
flashes. At 9600 the serial port is always faster than you can
pull the tape through the reader, so I do not expect the red
LED (indicate a buffer overflow, byte lost) come on during normal
operation...

The pinout of the Sub-D9 male plug is as usual on serial ports:
5: GND, 2: Data from reader to PC, 3: Data from PC to reader
(not used in my firmware, but original expects some start/config
command here) additionally 7: DC input to reader (in my case 9V).

    Hope this helps,

       best regards,

          Erik.