High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Tor Arntsen kspt.tor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 23:05:47 CDT 2016

On 21 April 2016 at 05:10, Josh Dersch <derschjo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, this one's from the 70s, and it's a large, external unit rather than a
> single board, but I have a Floating Point Systems AP-120B, essentially an
> array processor for fast floating point operations. There's a bit of
> information here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPS_AP-120B
>
> I'd love to get it running one of these days, just need +5V at 100A and a
> set of interface boards for a PDP-11...

I remember that one, it was used with some Norsk Data ND100 (16bit)
systems. I still have a power supply unit for the ND, it isn't
physically very large but the +5V can provide 200A.. (there used to be
a +5V 300A PSU in storage too but it went before i could grab it).
The ND-5000 (32-bit) systems used an FPS 5000 unit and I'm a bit more
familiar with that one.